This row of buildings is often referred to as the "Stamper Block" because George W. Stamper, a prominent merchant owned most of these buildings were built in the 1870-1880 era. This corner building (on this site) was once the location of the Petroleum House Hotel, built by the Stricklett brothers in the 1860s, and burned in the late 1860s or 1870s. The name Petroleum House came from the fact that there was an "oil boom" here shortly after the Civil War. Many speculators stayed at this hotel. These buildings have housed a variety of businesses for over 130 years.