United Methodist Church
Prior to 1866 there were few Methodists in Vanceburg, and they had no house of worship. Rev. Jerry Lennen (or Lenner) was sent by the Conference in 1866 to hold services in the school and city hall. Lenner and Rev. Alfred Harrison worked together to help the congregation build a two-story wooden structure on this spot in 1867. In 1884 that church burned down, but by 1886 the congregation had erected this brick structure. Several changes have been made in the structure through the years.