Carter House

The New Carter House, built in 1897 by Thomas Cater, was originally three stories high with a wrought-iron gallery on the two street sides. It caught fire in the 1920s but was not completely destroyed. The building was purchased by Max Block, who removed the top story, and developed it into a department store with a penthouse on the top level. The hotel was preceded by the Old Carter House on Front Street that burned in 1894.

More Information